Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Palindrome Of Bolton Would Be Notlob

I can't see the word "palindrome" without thinking of the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch. In my misspent youth, I spent many hours listening to the Python LPs, back in the days before CDs, personal stereos and MP3's. The LPs were borrowed from the local public library, which presumably had no idea that they were contributing to the subversion of my moral fibre. The pleasure of actually seeing the TV shows had to wait until I could get my hands on the DVD's. Of course, nowadays the highlights are easy to find on YouTube.



The brief "palindrome" discussion is at the end of the sketch - around 4:55. The pet-shop owner's brother (Michael Palin), confronted by unhappy customer, Mr. Praline (John Cleese), is forced to admit that they are, in fact, in Bolton, and not in Ipswich. He explains his deliberate lie by claiming that it was a palindrome.

Cleese: I understand that this is Bolton.

Palin: Yeah?

Cleese: But you told me that it was Ipswich.

Palin: It was a pun.

Cleese: (after looking around wildly) A pun?

Palin: No, no, not a pun. What's the other thing.. which reads the same backwards as forwards?

Cleese: A palindrome?

Palin: Yeah! Yeah.

Cleese: It's not a palindrome! The palindrome of Bolton would be Notlob! It don't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment